Warrnambool Technical School to Brauer College
Brauer College was founded in 1911 as the Warrnambool Technical School. The school was originally located in Timor Street (currently the South West Institute of TAFE building). Warrnambool Technical School’s principal Mr. John King commenced enrolling pupils in late July 1911.
In 1913 the School Council was established which marks the official beginning of the Warrnambool Technical School. By early August 1913, 66 art students, 56 commercial students and 12 chemistry and science students had made applications. During the first four years, one thousand students were enrolled and despite a shortage of teachers and lack of equipment, the school flourished. During 1919-1920 a workshop complex was built and a number of additional classrooms were added.
After 13 years of agitation and difficulty, the opening of the school frontage buildings at Timor Street occurred on 15th May, 1926, at a cost of approximately ten thousand pounds ($20,000). Early 1929 saw a further proposal to make additions to school buildings. By 1929, a total of 21 teachers were on staff. Until 1945, when the control of the college was taken over by the Education Department, everything was in the hands of the School Council.
The 1960s could justifiably be called the boom years in the history of the Warrnambool Technical School. Boom in staff, students, and buildings. In 1958 there had been 540 students; in 1960 enrolment rose to 860 and by 1963 – the Jubilee year, it topped 1,700. After 40 years service with the Education Department and 13 years as Principal, Mr Bernie Conry retired in December 1968.
In February 1962, boys in Forms 1 and 2 occupied the building known as the Old High School. The Annexe continued to operate until the end of 1972. At its peak in 1971, there were Years 7 and 8 students and Year 9 boys, totalling 350.
In 1973, all secondary students moved to the new Caramut Road site. With all the buildings complete Mr. Thompson Minister for Education, was officially invited to open the new campus of the WTS on Friday 15th November, 1974.
In 1989 the WTS underwent a name change and adopted the name of Brauer College. The name Brauer was adopted after the distinguished, long serving and highly respected Warrnambool Doctor, Dr Alfred Brauer.
100 years after its tentative beginnings in temporary accommodation, Brauer College/WTS stands as a proud monument to all those associated with technical education in Warrnambool. As the genesis of three other education institutions in the city, Brauer College/WTS has served the urban and rural district with great distinction over the many decades of its existence.